Izzy (and Mama) Eat: The Gourmand Goes To College...

Tales of Empty Nest and College Boy Eats.. The Next Chapter

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sick Day Soup: Izzy's Vegetable Bean Soup


Izzy was sick today; feverish and sneezy. After a waffle and numerous cups of Lemongrass/he took to the couch. I was stuck inside with him and it was just the kind of day to warrant a stay indoors.

My friend R. was kind enough to ferry over some vegetables from Whole Foods for us so that I could make a soup (don't think that her motives were entirely altruistic, I did have some chocolate here she was dying to get her hands on).

When Izzy's fever reached 103 F., it was time to give him some Motrin, something I rarely do. Little did I know that it would work its magic so well that he relinquished his nesting spot on the couch to be my soup sous-chef. What better way to spend a sick day?

He chopped carrots, celery, and celeriac while I took care of the parsnips, potatoes, onions, leeks, and garlic. The large quantity of turkey stock I saved from Thanksgiving finally came in handy. We added some red beans and alphabet pasta to the mix and had an easy, healthy meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Feel better Izzy. We look forward to your daily posts. Keep em coming.