Izzy (and Mama) Eat: The Gourmand Grows up...

Tales of Empty Nesting ...The Next Chapter

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Zucchini and Leeks (My Latest Vegetable Obsession)


The British strike again. I ate this simple dish at Christmas dinner and have been making it at least once a week since. I am not even sure I am doing it as H. would but whatever I am doing seems quite good enough. Fat slices of leek and zucchini are tossed with butter, water and salt and simmered until tender. The leeks impart a delicate flavor to the zucchini and the soft melding of buttery vegetables is addictive.

In a short period of time, they have become an important addition to my repertoire, especially since I am trying to increase our overall vegetable consumption. Best of all, Izzy has become as taken with the combination as I have.

Zucchini and Leeks (My interpretation)

2 medium zucchini

2 medium leeks

1 tablespoon butter

1/4 cup water

salt and pepper


Cut zucchini and leeks into thick rounds. Place in a saucepan with the remaining ingredients. Steam until tender (5-10 minutes).


Serves 3

No comments: