Izzy (and Mama) Eat: The Gourmand Grows up...

Tales of Empty Nesting ...The Next Chapter

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Prep: Step By Step: The Day Before

I am going to document the process. Starting now. Certainly fun for me and fascinating for you, no doubt. This post will be updated throughout the day (and night) as Izzy and I work on Thanksgiving. See inside the mind of a disorganized but well-meaning cook..

Step 1: I cheated on this one and bought a brine mix from Whole Foods. It has all of the same ingredients that were recommended here and since I am trying to be Zen about this I feel safe (sort of).

This turkey brining is an odd business, not to mention the fact that it takes up time and space that I don't have. But I am convinced it will help create a turkey masterpiece. So I whisked up the mix with two gallons of water and poured it over the turkey which is now bathing in this large stockpot. Unfortunately, the tush is still sticking out, but I don't think that will be a problem since it is the breast that needs flavor.


Step 2: Stock for gravy. Just throw the turkey giblets, along with 2 wings and 2 necks, 1 quartered onion, 2 carrots, 2 celery stalks, some dried thyme, bay leaf and 1 teaspoon of peppercorns into a stockpot. Add two quarts of water. Simmer for two hours.


This is what it looked like before adding the water.


The stock is simmering nicely. On to the cornbread for the stuffing.

Step 3: Prepare cornbread for stuffing. A simple recipe which is now baking. It is 4:20 and I have only completed three steps...slow going with Izzy helping, eating and then blogging.

Step 4: Chop ingredients for stuffing.

At this point it was sheer kitchen chaos and this step lasted for a few hours longer than it should have, with dinner, phone calls, bath and bedtime in between.

Step 5: Prepare Pumpkin Cheesecake...now cooling in fridge at 1:12 a.m.

Step 6: Tarte Tatin Dough...Now chilling in fridge until tomorrow.

Step 7: Prep biscuits for baking tomorrow.

The last thing I will do tonight is wash dishes..and try to get to bed before 2 a.m...since I still have about 10 things left to do tomorrow. And so many untold stories...

No comments: