Izzy (and Mama) Eat: The Gourmand Grows up...

Tales of Empty Nesting ...The Next Chapter

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Ice Cream Inspiration

The days of summer may be waning but our desire for ice cream lingers on. We may have had our peak ice cream/gelato experiences in Paris but since then, great ice cream has been a rare find. I finally had to take action.

I turned to David Lebovitz , the ice cream maven of the moment and although I don't yet have his cookbook, his recipes have been calling to me all summer long. Bloggers can't stop writing of their experiences with his recipes and I felt compelled to join them, especially after I saw this recipe for Mango Frozen Yogurt.

Izzy and I came up with our own version based upon David Lebovitz's recipe. We made Mixed Berry Frozen Yogurt and it sure was a cinch.Berries, yogurt, sugar and lemon juice. We had it all. We pureed. We poured. We turned on the ice cream maker. And then trouble ensued. The machine whirred but wouldn't turn, so I became the human crank..Is that why my shoulder is so incredibly sore today?

Well if so, I don't mind because my efforts paid off. Izzy and I were in awe of our frozen creation. He said, "This doesn't taste like frozen yogurt. It tastes like gelato. It tastes like fruit." Had we made homemade "Yolato?" Who knows? Whatever we made was a treat.

Meanwhile, don't put away your ice cream machines yet, or take them out if you haven't and make this.

Izzy's Berry "Yolato"Recipe (adapted from David Lebovitz)


Ingredients

1. 2 cups of mixed berries:strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.

2. 14 ounces Greek Whole Milk Yogurt

3. 1/2 cup sugar

4. 1/4 cup brown sugar

5. 2 Tablespoons lemon juice



Directions



1. Puree berries in a blender with sugar, until sugar dissolves.

2. Strain mixture through a sieve ( I recommend this if using blackberries. I didn't do it and the seeds are an awful nuisance)

3. Blend berry mixture with yogurt and lemon juice. Chill for 1 hour.

4. Pour into ice cream machine and wait til done.



Best if eaten immediately. Once frozen, allow to soften before serving (around 10-15 minutes).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad I spread the word about David's frozen yogurt. It really is great, right? I'm about to try David's new recipe (on his blog) for pistachio gelato. I'm getting geeked.