Izzy (and Mama) Eat: The Gourmand Goes To College...

Tales of Empty Nest and College Boy Eats.. The Next Chapter

Monday, July 2, 2007

Izzy Takes Flight: First Plane Trip

One of Izzy’s dearest wishes has come true. On June 24th, 2007 he finally got to fly on a plane with Papa. We all boarded an old Delta plane at JFK for a flight to Pisa. Yes, it was the beginning of Izzy’s first European voyage.

Some friends remarked in amazement that he was rather old for a first trip, since their kids had been traveling since birth or before. I, on the other hand, thought otherwise, since I didn't board a plane until I was 16 and my grandfather still hasn't flown and he is 98.

There was a great flurry of excitement in anticipation of our trip but what weighed most heavily on my mind was, "What on earth would I prepare for us to eat on the plane?" After all, I could not subject Izzy to one of the most loathsome foods I know of, the dreaded "plane food." When I had traveled in past years, I often tried to bring something on the plane with me because I could never bear plane food and the thought of it makes me queasy. This time Izzy provided added even more motivation because I didn't want him to be hungry or unhappy on the plane.

I couldn't decide what to make for us because it had to be something relatively neat or else I would be accused of being the biggest pigpen this side of the Atlantic. Somehow I managed to come up with something delightfully simple which wouldn't drip on our shirts. Doe Re Mi Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Thinly Sliced Zucchini, Mixed Greens and Balsamic Vinegar. I also packed blueberries and cherries. This turned out to be a great plan since our plane was delayed for almost two hours which encompassed both dinner time and Izzy’s bedtime. At least I could calm him with food. We ended up eating the sandwiches before we even boarded the plane, which was a wise move since Izzy fell asleep before the icky dinner trays made their way down the aisle. Even Alex, who had heartily discouraged any plane picnic, ate one of the sandwiches.

No comments: